The Town of Plum Lake, encompassing the two towns of Sayner and Star Lake, had its modest beginnings on April 11, 1911, when it was created out of territory detached from the Town of Arbor Vitae. The first town meeting was held in Sayner on April 14, 1911. Sayner got its name from Orrin W. Sayner, who settled the area in 1891, two years before any other settlers took up homes in the town. A place called Camp 1 got the name of Star Lake in memory of Harry Starr, who was killed while working on the construction of a railroad bridge across the mill hot pond. The lake was named Starr also.
Area: 85.7 square miles; Population: 500; Town Government: Three person elected town board, elected part-time Clerk/Treasurer